1. Extension cords are NOT permitted for use on campus. A surge protector with a longer cord is the correct device to use. Call our office with any questions about this issue, it is a common problem around campus!
2. It is a punishable crime to tamper with fire extinguishers. Notify EH&S during business hours, or University Police during non-business hours, if you suspect someone has tampered with an extinguisher, or it appears to be in need of repair.
3. Do not block exit doors or fire extinguishers.
4. Do not store things in hallways or stairwells
5. Check your electrical tools and devices regularly for signs of wear. If the cords are frayed or cracked, replace it. Replace any device or tool if it causes even small electrical shocks, overheats, shorts out or gives off smoke or sparks.
6. If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet.
7. Keep electrical appliances away from wet floors and counters; pay special care to electrical appliances in the bathroom and kitchen.
8. Do not wedge open stairwell doors. These doors are assigned to contain smoke and fire so that the stairwell can be used for a safe passage.
Back to Top
Some content on this page is saved in PDF format. To view these files, download Adobe Acrobat Reader free. If you are having trouble reading a document, request an accessible copy of the PDF or Word Document.